Thursday 16 September 2010

Hard work all round

Grim times on the punting front and can't do a thing right, missing winners I should have backed and backing losers I should have left alone.

How I could do with a day like my pal Mitchell. He came over on Tuesday night for the quiz and as we sat in his car to set off to the pub he groped around in the dark before telling me he had something to show me. "I had a good day on Sunday," he confided. "Here's my latest William Hill statement."

With that he passed over a much handled piece of paper which indeed did come from Messrs W Hill and showed his latest bet, a 10p EW Heinz costing £11.40 and which paid just over £18,000! For the first time I was literally speechless as I gazed at the total, which came courtesy of five out of six winners including one which had drifted from 5-1 to 16-1 on the day and was a massive beneficiary of Best Odds Guaranteed. They all came within an hour or so of each other on Sunday afternoon, he said. "I couldn't believe as they went in one after the other."

He was bloody useless in the quiz but to his credit the good old boy stood me a steak and chips out of his winnings and I was chuffed for him.

For me the attention is on Ayr today where I've backed Daring Dream at 7-1 in the 5.20 and he's since drifted to 8s with Hills so I hope the SP ends up better than I've taken. I've actually just booked a few days away in Scotland in October for me and the missus and my main work now is seeing that I can sneak off to Kelso on the Saturday. Unfortunately she's on the alert and as soon as I suggested she had one of the afternoons up there on a shopping trip she replied "I suppose that means there's racing on. Well, I'm going shopping next week so won't need to and we can spend the time together."

Why is it that women always want to spend time together when a chap is very happy to go off on his own, whether it's to the races or the football or just to the pub? Mind you, having said that a bloke I know in our local town whose wife has a horse moans about the amount of time she spends at the stables - what a wuss! A perfect chance to get the feet up, put on ATR and enjoy the peace and quiet I'd have thought.

Still a few weeks to work on my wife about the Kelso excursion but I can see I'll have to think up some other tactics now that Plan A has been blown out of the water so quickly.

Away from the racing the biggest thrill of the week was seeing my little grand-daughter Florence running around the sitting room at my son's house 250 miles away by the wonders of the interweb and Skype. She started walking a week or so ago and they can't keep her still now - what a star!


No comments:

Post a Comment