Saturday 25 September 2010

Trust in coincidence

I'm putting my faith in coincidence today as I tackle the big handicap at Ascot at 3.40 and hoping that Advanced can win the race for the second year in succession.

His preparation has been the same as last year except that 12 months ago he finished 8th in the Ayr Gold Cup and this year he was 4th in the Ayr Silver Cup but the real beauty lies in the other factors: he carries exactly the same weight (9.3) off exactly the same rating (99), is the same price as last year (33-1) and most tantalising of all, he is drawn in exactly the same stall (20). Having toiled away to work out the race I threw everything else out of the window and decided to leave it to fate that he will finish in the same position (1st). The only trouble is, the once difference this year is that I have backed Advanced this year and didn't last year - damn, I hadn't thought of that before having my punt....

Elsewhere I've had a bit on Santera in the 1.45 at Market Rasen. I used to have a share in this horse until she was claimed after winning a race last year and after another couple of moves she's now with the best trainer in her career - John Flint - and I think she will go on to good things. She won for me last week at 7-1 on her first ride for Flint and his son Rhys and I think she'll go in again today, although only at 7-4.

Away from the horses Plymouth need a win at Rochdale after Tuesday night's caving in at home to Brighton which came just three days after the best game in years when we beat Wednesday 3-2.

Also I'm still working on getting to Kelso during our trip to Scotland but Plan C - suggesting I buy the missus an afternoon in the pampering salon at the hotel while I disappear - has failed after she said she just needed her nails being done which will take an hour. "You can have a coffee and read the paper while you wait for me," she said. This is proving very tricky but I've not given up hope yet...

Happy punting!


No comments:

Post a Comment