Saturday 13 November 2010

Paddy Power picks

The punting has been lack lustre to say the least for the past couple of weeks; I've watched a fair bit of racing on ATR & RUK but been hardly betting which is a most unusual state of affairs brought about by continued frustrations each time I've dipped my toe back into the water.

It's one of those runs where nothing goes right but the spirit is slowly returning and a superb weekend ahead will fire the enthusiasm. I'm off to see my son, daughter in law and lovely grand daughter today and then tomorrow we're going to Cheltenham for the Sunday of the Paddy Power meeting. What a superb way to spend a weekend, with the big fight to look forward to tonight as well. I once interviewed Audley Harrison when I was a hack so I would love to see him put his past as a big fearful lump behind him and win the title.

Few people give him a chance and realistically he really is up against it but I wish him the best. At the very least I hope he puts up a good performance so he can at least retire with pride but he has looked a far better proposition in the last year or so so I reckon he just might do it.

If only Plymouth Argyle could show some consistency then all would indeed be rosy but they play one great game and then two abysmal games, including being beaten by Exeter on Tuesday night in the Johnson Paint Trophy quarter final. A dire state of affairs.

Anyway on with the punting and the Paddy Power Gold Cup today seems to be all over bar the shouting if Long Run runs to form. But it is on days like this that brave men need to look beyond the obvious that is staring them right in the face and I am backing The Sawyer each way at 28-1. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off at longer odds so the best odds guarantee could come into play here and I was amazed to see that even Ladbrokes are going 5 places each way along with some of the smaller bookies so well done to them.

I'm also going to have a bit on Mad Max at 9-1 to win. He has won first time out for the last three years and Barry Geraghty says he is flying at home. Common sense would be to have at least a saver on Long Run but damn it, I say. I will not be lily livered about it!

Happy punting one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment