Monday 2 August 2010

Off to the races

A losing day for me yesterday with just one bet, on Becqu Adoree at 11-1. She had every chance despite taking a slight knock but didn't maintain her run and weakened in the final furlong. This is the fourth chance she's had since arriving from France and I reckon she's just like the stroppy French wife of a former colleague of mine who spent all her time berating everything about England and longing to return to Paris. She never settled into life here and perhaps this filly is also making a protest every time she runs.

I'm off to the races today at Newton Abbot, the closest track to us down here in Cornwall, and will hopefully have a successful day. The first job is to flog a spare ticket which was bought under Newton's 2-for-1 Mondays deal and as there are three of us we have one left over which we can let go at half price.

Half the blokes in my local town seem to be going to Newton today but they've all got their tickets already so will have to stand outside until it goes as the Cheltenham touts will not be about to buy it!

The proceeds can then go on my fancy in the 3.30, Marc Aurele, which I've already backed at 11-2 with best odds guaranteed. This is a tough race with half a dozen genuine contenders but I've got it down to M A and Rio Gael, trained by Peter Bowen. I just hope I've picked the right one.

Marc Aurele, trained by Paul Nicholls, is a front runner and Newton really suits those types and the very decent amateur R Mahon is on board so I think at the price he is good value.

Thankfully it is a quiet morning at the B&B so no pressure from Mrs Westcoast at the moment to get away from my studies but I'm sure that will come before long so I'd better get back to that before my time runs out.

Happy Punting!

No comments:

Post a Comment