Saturday 28 August 2010

Sunny Saturday

It's going to be a nice Bank Holiday weekend here in Cornwall. The sun is shining and no proper rain expected so all we need now is a winner and for Plymouth Argyle to beat Peterborough at Home Park this afternoon.

Peterborough were the last match of the season last year and by then both teams were relegated. Argyle put in a pitiful display to lose 1-0 and today isn't going to be easy with the Posh one of the top scorers in Div 1 at this early stage. Hopefully That Man Reid will have instilled a bit of backbone since last week's pathetic second half display at Walsall so once again we go with hope in our hearts.

The punting on the horses is a disaster at the moment and I've virtually shut up shop till things turn round. In fact the only bet I've had since Wednesday was Rapid Vienna to beat Villa at 13-2, which I thought was a terrific price given the way Villa are so unpredictable and that the tie was at 1-1 from the game in Austria. I just wish I'd backed them again when Villa went one up but at that point it didn't look like they could get their act together so in the end I was pleased to back a winner, with apologies to any Villa fans for taking pleasure at their European demise.

I'm off to have my first proper go at fly fishing tomorrow at a reservoir near Camelford and going with a chum of mine, Fatty Gyles, whose father was a keen fly fisherman and he's bringing some of his old kit. This fish kettle is ready for poaching a couple of trout so just like at Argyle we are filled with hope but prepared for disappointment...

I am having just one punt today, on Dafeef in the 3.20 at Newmarket. Bated Breath is widely expected to turn the tables with a 3lb pull after being "unlucky" when they met at Newmarket last time. Roger Charlton has warned that B.B. may not run if Richard Hughes isn't happy with him at the start and as soft ground will again be the conditions I much prefer Bafeef at 7-2, twice the odds of Bated Breath. I will also have a little bit each way on Caledonia Princess at 50-1.


No comments:

Post a Comment